1. Jesuit – They have come out with vengeance since losing the first two games in the Westview series, outscoring opponents 46-8 during their current 5 game winning streak. A streaky Southridge team the rest of this week and a gritty, surprising Beaverton team next week is what stands between them and a 21-3 record heading into the post-season.
2. Lake Oswego – After back to back losses in mid-April, LO has been on a tear. Led by Will Waterman (who finally gave up his first runs of the season in Oregon against Oregon City) and Travis Sanders on the mound, they have a deep staff and an offense that hopes to have found it's rhythm in game one this week against West Linn. Watch out.
3. Tualatin – Lost the final game last week against Newberg and barely squeaked by with a 1-0 win over Century on Monday (on a quality pitching performance from Nick Bland). Tualatin is stacked, but let's hope they are over the little offensive lull they have had the last week. Must win the next two games this week.
4. Sherwood – This team is the "Boise State" of the area. They are crushing the teams they should crush and aren't losing to subpar competition. They have only lost one game on the season and are running on all cylinders. It's a very tough call not getting to see them play the 6A teams, but you have to believe they would be up there.
5. Westview – These guys had to drop a few spots. They lost two out of three to Beaverton and got shut out by Sunset the first game this week. With Kyle Schaller out after fouling a ball off his foot and breaking his toe, the team needs to find a way to replace his leadership and versatility. Westview will look to re-discover their identity and bounce back tonight (we'll learn a lot about them as a team)...if not, the defending state champs might be headed out of the top 5.
Just missed (in alphabetical order): Central Catholic, Clackamas, Lakeridge, Oregon City, Sunset, Tigard
Sunset will jump Westview if they can manage another win this week. It will be tough as Westview is surely determined to right the ship, but Sunset has the talent and the drive to get into the top 5 next week.
Tigard has quietly gone on a 10 game win streak and has jumped into the discussion of who should be the number five team in the rankings. Hard to argue with wins and they close out the season with a Newberg team that hasn't lost a lot of games. Will be interested to see how they respond and if they can stay up.
Central Catholic has been playing much better as of late. They still aren't dominating the competition like they should. Codi Scanlon had a great outing against Gresham last week, throwing a complete game one-hitter. Offensively, CC is still suspect and should be putting up more runs against their competition. Ability is there.
Lakeridge went on a little streak, sweeping West Linn and taking two of three from Clackamas. They lost early this week to Oregon City. These three teams are neck and neck.
Remember to reserve your copy of the